Despite advances in process safety, major incidents continue to bring harm to people, the environment, and industry. The problem isn't simply a failure of technical and management systems—but a breakdown in their implementation and execution. Preventing catastrophic events requires that leaders understand the interaction between technical and organizational factors to ensure reliability and consistency across all job levels, work shifts, and regions.
DEKRA Insight partners with organizations globally to bring a comprehensive approach to catastrophic event prevention that:
- Engages employees and increases systems reliability
- Illuminates emerging risks with data clarity
- Assures alignment and effectiveness of technical and management systems
- Leverages connections between personal and process safety
- Clarifies and develops the role of leadership in preventing catastrophic events
Eliminating catastrophic events goes beyond developing and documenting policies and procedures. Specific leadership attributes and behavioral reliability are required for consistent and effective execution. DEKRA Insight helps organizations improve catastrophic event prevention by answering and addressing critical questions that guide comprehensive planning and priorities. These questions include:
- Do employees understand the differences between personal safety and catastrophic event prevention?
- Are the right systems in place and are they implemented as intended (and effectively monitored)?
- Does the organization’s culture support the rigorous and consistent application of systems?
- Do the organization’s leaders act in ways that support exposure identification and risk reduction?
- Do the organization’s “consequence management” systems support critical prevention activities?
- Are the right skills available? Are role and responsibility assignments clear and optimally configured?
- Are metrics in place that detect changes in exposure and assure focus on key processes and procedures?