Keeping workers safe is a priority for every organization. But to effectively protect frontline employees, organizations and leaders must shift from traditional behavior based safety approaches that exhibit top-down thinking and reliance on lagging indicators. Frontline employees have an inherent stake in doing their jobs safely and want to be engaged in safety efforts. And when these all-important employees take ownership in improving safety for themselves and co-workers, solutions are stimulated, buy-in is accomplished, and long-term safety success is achieved. Elements of our tailored approach to protecting front-line employees include:
- Recognizing and leveraging workers' superior task-level knowledge
- Focusing on leading indicators (exposures) and less so on lagging indicators (injuries
- Capturing observation data effectively to identify and remove barriers to safe behaviors
- Creating an adaptive workforce that exceeds performance expectations
- Enabling and empowering employees to respond to changing exposures
- Instilling effective feedback systems that support safe behavior
For more than three decades, our clients have achieved long-term success with DEKRA Insight’s approach to protecting frontline employees. Our Behavioral Accident Prevention Process® (BAPP®) Technology is a tailorable, comprehensive method for improving workplace safety. This approach contains four key elements:
- Identifying Critical Behaviors – Analyzing historical data and employee insight to identify the behaviors that are critical to safe performance.
- Gathering Data – Conducting provide peer-to-peer, no-name-no-blame observations to capture information that measures exposure levels.
- Providing Feedback – Engaging in informal follow-up discussions with their coworkers about the safe and at-risk behaviors they observed.
- Using Data to Remove Barriers – Applying findings from the observation data captured, cross-functional teams work to remove these barriers to safe behavior.
Strengthening this approach is expert advisement in assuring role clarity for employees at all levels, comprehensive and collaborative planning, informative assessment, and ongoing support that fosters sustainable success.